Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Garage Sale


Here is a photo of our first ever garage sale and above is the weather of the first garage sale we ever had. We thought we were doomed because of the rain. I wanted to have a sale for a long time and stuff was slowly piling up in the garage to be sold and Jeff kept threatning to take it to the D.I. Well Maycee just joined dance and she needed all the clothes for dance so I told her if she would sell some of her stuff and help set up etc. then she could use what she needed of the prophets to buy her dancewear. She quickly loaded up all the toys in her room that she no longer wanted, and that girl worked all day Friday helping me set up tables and sticking price tags on everything!! Good helper.

Well here are a few things I learned from our sale...
1. People still come in the rain, and they verbalize their appreciation to you for setting up in the garage. (Not my original plan, but we couldn't drag the tables out when there was rain, right!)
2. People that come to garage sales drive nice cars. Most of them were shiny and new looking and the people that came out of them were nice and clean. Don't get me wrong, there was the lady that carried and oxygen tank, rode a motorized scooter and talked WAY louder than she needed to, but for the most part I was surprised at the "type" of people that came.
3. I am no good at making a fortune at the garage sale. People would come up to pay with a HUGE stack of clothes and say "How much for this?" and I would say "How about $2.00". And all the people that offered lower...I would take the offer. There were a couple people that I told the price to and they gave me more money than what I told them, and they would say "You are already giving us a good deal, you're ripping yourself off." Ha ha! I just knew that what I didn't sell I had to haul away to the D.I. so I wanted it out of there!!
Anyway, we made enough money to get Maycee all her dance stuff and take the kids out to Olive Garden for a back to school dinner. I think it went well!

No comments: